The Aims of HGADMS, as a Scientific Association, are the following:
(according to its current Statute and which was approved by the Athens Court of First Instance)
- The collaboration of the Members of the Association with the Department of Marine Sciences (hereinafter DMS), of the School of the Environment - University of the Aegean, for any issue concerns both the Graduates of DMS and DMS itself.
- The protection and restoration of the aquatic ecosystems of Greece and the flora and fauna that live in them.
- The protection and sustainable development of the marine environment, the coastal zone and the cultural heritage both at national and European level.
- The promotion, development and dissemination of Oceanographic Science and Marine Sciences / Ichthyology / Environmental Science and research in Greece for the protection and sustainable development of marine natural resources, including the seafloor.
- The interconnection of Oceanographic Science and Marine Sciences / Ichthyology / Environmental Science with society through information, awareness and education of the public and especially students on issues related to the coastal and marine environment.
- The promotion, improvement and certification of Oceanographic studies and studies in Marine Sciences / in Ichthyology / in Environmental Science, in Greece in undergraduate, postgraduate (e.g. master, doctoral), postdoctoral, but also at technical, professional level.
- The promotion and establishment of the profession of Oceanographer (Oceanologist) / Marine Scientist, so that the Graduates of DMS -Oceanography scientists / Marine Bioscientists / Ichthyologists / Environmental scientists- to participate in all fields of activities related to the marine and coastal environment (Design - Study - Research - Protection - Management - Education).
- Cooperation with the State, but also with other public or private bodies for the promotion of specific issues, elaboration of studies and policy making regarding the Marine Strategy, the Marine Spatial Planning and the Study - Protection - Management and sustainable exploitation of the natural resources of the marine and coastal environment.
- The development of solidarity and cooperation between its Members.
- Claiming and securing the trade union rights of Graduate Oceanographers / Marine Bioscientists / Ichthyologists / Environmentalists and their participation and representation in Professional Associations and Chambers.
- Assistance to undergraduate and postgraduate students during their studies and in the preparation of doctoral dissertations related to the subject of Oceanography and Marine Sciences and to the unemployed Graduate Oceanographers and Marine Biosciences / Ichthyologists / Environmental scientists for vocational rehabilitation related to their scientific specialty.